Onion Flans with Fonduta
- You'll need a 3-ounce souffle rounds or flan dishes for this recipe
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 medium Spanish onions, sliced into 1/4inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs plus 5 yolks
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 recipe fonduta
In a 10 to 12inch saute pan, heat butter until foam subsides. Add onions and cook slowly until soft and golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
Butter the flan molds and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Divide the onions among the flan molds. In a bowl, whisk together nutmeg, rosemary, milk, eggs, yolks and grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper and divide milk mixture among the flan molds. Place flans in brownie pan and fill to halfway with cool water. Place in oven and bake 45 minutes, or until insides are set or a toothpick exits dry. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes. Unmold and serve with fonduta and truffles.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.