Pasta-Stuffed Peppers (Peperoni Imbotiti Ai Vermicelli)
- 4 tablespoons plus 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 large red and yellow bell peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted
- 4 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, toss 4 tablespoons oil and the peppers to coat the peppers. Roast the peppers over the flame of a burner until blackened all around. This process takes a little time, but is well worth it.
Meanwhile, make the filling. In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, place 6 tablespoons oil and the garlic over medium heat and cook until the garlic is light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Break the pasta into 2-inch pieces, place in the pan with the garlic and cook, tossing to mix, until pasta is golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add 1 cup water, olives, capers and the oregano and cook until the water has dissipated, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool, add parsley and set aside.
Peel and seed the roasted peppers carefully to retain whole and slit down one side to create a hole. Stuff each of the peppers with some of the pasta mixture and place each carefully into a roasting pan with the wine. Sprinkle all over with breadcrumbs. Place in oven and cook until heated through, 20 minutes. Remove and serve warm, or allow to cool and serve at room temperature.
All recipes copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved