Peperonata con Bruschetta (Sweet Pepper Toasts)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- 2 medium red onions, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 clove garlic, minced, plus 4 cloves garlic, sliced in half
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped into 1/2inch pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices Italian peasant bread
- 8 basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
Preheat the grill or broiler.
Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook over high heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes. Simmer 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and season to taste.
Grill the bread for 2 minutes on each side, then rub 1 side of each slice with the cut side of 1/2 of a garlic clove. Top each slice of bread with a heaping spoonful of the pepper mixture, sprinkle with basil and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.