Peperoni Ripieni (Stuffed Peppers)
- 2 fresh dinner rolls, outside grated off, inside shredded by hand
- 3 tablespoons plus 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 4 canned anchovy fillets, rinsed, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino romano
- 2 tablespoons pickled capers
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 yellow bell peppers, tops cut off and reserved, seeds and pith removed
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, place the shredded bread and drizzle with 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Add the parsley, anchovies, 2 tablespoons cheese, capers and garlic and mix well to combine. Season aggressively with pepper and timidly with salt, then slowly mix in the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil to form a fairly soft paste. Divide the mixture evenly among the 4 hollowed peppers (do not pack the mixture in too tightly) and top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Replace the top of each pepper and place each pepper in a baking dish that has been brushed with extra virgin olive oil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse