Pumpkin Sformato with Fonduta and Frisee
- 1 pound wedge of pumpkin
- 2 cups balsamella sauce (see recipe) (Bechamel)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 head frisee lettuce, washed and spun dry
- 1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 ounce red wine vinegar
- 1 Bundt pan, and a large pan to use as a bain marie
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Wrap pumpkin in foil and bake 1 hour. Remove and allow to cool. Cut pumpkin into 1inch cubes and place in mixing bowl. Add balsamella, yolks, eggs and 1/4 cup Parmigiano and stir together. Lightly butter Bundt pan and dust with bread crumbs. Pour batter into Bundt pan and place in bain marie. Place in oven and cook 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
Meanwhile, heat milk over low heat until foam forms. Add Fontina and 2 tablespoons remaining Parmigiano and stir to combine. To serve, slice into 1inch pieces. Place on plate with dressed frisee and drizzle with fonduta.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali