Pumpkin Sformato with Fonduta and Frisee
- 1 pound wedge of pumpkin
- 2 cups balsamella sauce (see recipe) (Bechamel)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 head frisee lettuce, washed and spun dry
- 1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 ounce red wine vinegar
- 1 Bundt pan, and a large pan to use as a bain marie
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Wrap pumpkin in foil and bake 1 hour. Remove and allow to cool. Cut pumpkin into 1inch cubes and place in mixing bowl. Add balsamella, yolks, eggs and 1/4 cup Parmigiano and stir together. Lightly butter Bundt pan and dust with bread crumbs. Pour batter into Bundt pan and place in bain marie. Place in oven and cook 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
Meanwhile, heat milk over low heat until foam forms. Add Fontina and 2 tablespoons remaining Parmigiano and stir to combine. To serve, slice into 1inch pieces. Place on plate with dressed frisee and drizzle with fonduta.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse