Quail with Peas: Quaglie con Piselli
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 8 quails, glove-boned (bones removed, entire body intact)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 pound small fresh peas, shelled
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and celery and cook until browned. Season the inside of the quail with salt and pepper and add to the pan to cook until browned on both sides. Add the wine and let it evaporate, then add the tomato puree and the peas and cook 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.