Rabbit in Potacchio
- 1 large rabbit, 3 to 4 pounds, cut into pieces
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil plus 4 tablespoons
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 dry hot chilies, whole
- Juice of 1 lemon plus zest of 3 lemons
- 1 pound can peeled tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 12 ounces dry white wine
Wash and dry the rabbit pieces and dredge in flour. Season with salt and pepper.
In a 14 inch frying pan, heat 6 tablespoons olive oil until just smoking. Cook the rabbit pieces until golden brown, 3 or 4 at a time, and remove to a plate. Drain old oil and add new with shallots, garlic, rosemary and chilies and cook until soft and translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add lemon juice, zest, tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil. Add rabbit pieces and drippings and return to boil. Lower heat and simmer until rabbit is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.