Rabbit in Potacchio
- 1 large rabbit, 3 to 4 pounds, cut into pieces
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil plus 4 tablespoons
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 dry hot chilies, whole
- Juice of 1 lemon plus zest of 3 lemons
- 1 pound can peeled tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 12 ounces dry white wine
Wash and dry the rabbit pieces and dredge in flour. Season with salt and pepper.
In a 14 inch frying pan, heat 6 tablespoons olive oil until just smoking. Cook the rabbit pieces until golden brown, 3 or 4 at a time, and remove to a plate. Drain old oil and add new with shallots, garlic, rosemary and chilies and cook until soft and translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add lemon juice, zest, tomatoes and wine and bring to a boil. Add rabbit pieces and drippings and return to boil. Lower heat and simmer until rabbit is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali