Radicchio Treviso with Eggs and Prosciutto: Radicchio con Uova e Prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus 3 more
- 4 eggs, raw and whole, plus 4 eggs, hard boiled and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 to 3 heads radicchio, cut into julienne
- 1 (1/4 pound) slice prosciutto San Daniele, cut into batons
- 1/4 pound walnuts, shelled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
In a non-stick pan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over high heat until it foams and subsides. Crack 1 egg into the pan and cook, sunny side up, seasoning with salt and pepper and removing to a plate as it is finished cooking. Repeat this process with the remaining 3 eggs and butter.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the radicchio, prosciutto, walnuts, oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper, to taste, and toss well to coat. Divide the salad evenly among 4 plates and top each serving with a sunny side up egg and a hard boiled, finely chopped egg.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali