Rigatoncelli con Pomodori
- 4 large ripe yet firm tomatoes
- 1 pound Ditalini Rigati pasta
- 4 tablespoons freshly chopped mint leaves
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Bring 6 quarts water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Slice off tops of tomatoes, but keep the tops to use as a lid later in the recipe. Using a melon baller, scrape out seeds and flesh. Chop the flesh and set aside for later use. Cook Ditalini in boiling water according to package instructions until "al dente". Drain, refresh with cold water, and drain again. Place in a large mixing bowl and add mint, parsley, garlic, pepper, oil and chopped tomato flesh. Stuff pasta mixture back into tomatoes until brimming. Place tomato lids on top and bake 15 to 20 minutes until quite soft, yet still holding shape and serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali