Sauteed Scallops with Wild Mushrooms and Frisee
- 12 large sea scallops
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound mixed mushrooms, oyster, chanterelle, crimini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 heads frisee, washed and spun dry
- Extra virgin olive oil for garnish
Season scallops with pepper only and set aside.
In a 10 to 12-inch non-stick pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil until smoking. Place scallops in and do not move them. Allow them to cook until crisp and golden brown, unmoved for 5 to 6 minutes. In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat remaining oil until smoking over high heat. Add shallots and saute until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and toss 3 to 4 minutes until softened. Add vinegar and then frisee. Toss quickly, season with salt and pepper and divide among 4 plates. Without turning the scallops, remove and arrange 3 on each salad. Drizzle with great oil and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali