Sea Bream Baked in a Bag: Orata en "Cartoccio"
- 4 (1 to 1 1/2-pound) sea breams, scaled and gutted, with head and tail intact
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup Gaeta olives
- Special equipment: Parchment Paper
- 1 lemon, sliced thin to yield 8 slices
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Season each fish on both sides and on the inside cavity with salt and pepper. Lay out 4 sheets of parchment paper (about 20 inches by 12 inches) and pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil on center of each sheet. Place one fish on each sheet of paper.
Fold parchment in half and close the edge of the package to form a tight seal. Place the packages on a sheet tray and place in oven for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Mario Batali, 2001