Seafood Antipasti alla Veneziana
- 6 large shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- 6 large scampi, cleaned and peeled
- 6 small mussels, bearded and scrubbed
- 6 large clams, bearded and scrubbed
- 6 small razor clams, bearded and scrubbed
- 6 large mussels, bearded and scrubbed
- 6 small calamari, cleaned and gutted
- 1 small 1 pound lobster
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced, 2 lemons cut in wedges, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon hot chili flakes
- 2 bunches Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/2 cup
Bring 6 quarts water to boil and set up ice bath nearby.
Cook all the shrimp for 1 1/2 minutes and plunge into the ice bath. Cook the scampi for 1 minute, and plunge into the ice bath. Repeat with the calamari. Cook the lobster for 8 minutes and then cool in the ice bath.
In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, place mussels and clams with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and let the seafood steam, removing each shellfish as it opens until they are all cooked and removed from the pan. Discard any shellfish that do not open. Keeping each type of open shellfish separate, dress each individually with 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, a touch of lemon juice, a pinch of chilies, and 1 to 2 tablespoons parsley. Dress the crabmeat in the same manner. Arrange all the seafood on a big platter. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
Recipe courtesy Mario Batali