Spaghetti with Mussels: Spaghetti con Mitili
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried red chile flakes
- 4 anchovy fillets, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons salted capers
- 1 bunch Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 2 pounds black mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 1 cup dry white wine
In a large stockpot, bring 6 cups of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and stir so they don't stick.
In a large stockpot, heat the extra-virgin olive oil and lightly saute the red onion. When the onions are translucent, add the sliced garlic and chile flakes. Saute until fragrant. Add the anchovies, and using a wooden spoon, smash them into the oil. Add the salted capers, parsley, mussels and white wine, and cover quickly, so the steam cooks the mussels. Shake the pot after 1 minute, and again after 2 more minutes. Check the mussels, if they are open and plump, they are cooked.
Drain the pasta in a colander and divide between 4 warmed pasta bowls. Divide the mussels between the 4 bowls of pasta, and pour the wine sauce over, leaving any sandy sediment in the pot.