Spicy Vegetable Pickles: la Spiritosa
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided into 5 equal portions
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch thick medallions
- 3 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 1/2 pound green beans, ends removed
- 2 medium Japanese eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch thick medallions
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets with 4-inch stalks
- 2 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 20 mint leaves
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 pinches hot chile flakes
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat 1/5 of the oil until just smoking. Saute each vegetable until tender and golden brown and remove each to a platter when finished cooking. To the pan, add vinegar, mint leaves, sugar and a pinch of hot chile flakes and stir with a wooden spoon over heat to dislodge the browned vegetable sugars in the pan. Pour the vinegar mixture over each of the 5 vegetables. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.