Squash Fritters: Fritelle di Zucca
- 2 1/2 pounds acorn or butternut squash, seeded and cut into 3 slices, horizontally
- 1/4 cup raisins, soaked in water to rehydrate and drained
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Pinch salt
- 1 quart extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the squash in a roasting pan and add 1/2-cup water. Roast in the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and, when cool enough to handle, wrap the squash in cheese cloth, and squeeze to release all excess water. Scrape the squash from the rind and place in a large bowl. Add the raisins, flour, yeast, lemon juice, and salt and mix well to form a sticky dough. Let cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Heat the oil to 375 degrees F in a tall-sided pot.
Using 2 spoons, form 2-inch dumplings from the squash mixture and fry in the olive oil until golden brown and floating, working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Once cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and set on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.