- 4 jumbo artichokes
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 bunches chopped Italian parsley leaves, to yield about 1/2 cup
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan, combine 4 quarts of water the lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add the artichokes and blanch for 20 minutes, until tender. Drain, cool, and set aside. Remove the outer layer of leaves from the artichokes and cut the artichokes in quarters. Use a small knife to remove the spiny choke.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix the sliced garlic, Parmigiano, parsley, and extra-virgin olive oil loosely.
Season the cavity of each artichoke with salt and pepper and stuff in and around the leaves with cheese/garlic mixture. Put the artichokes in a shallow baking dish, place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove and let rest 10 minutes. Serve immediately, or serve at room temperature as an antipasto.