Stuffed Artichokes (Carciofi Ripieni)
- 4 quarts water
- 8 lemons, juiced
- 2 cups white wine
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch plus 1 bunch thyme
- 4 jumbo artichokes, 1 layer of leaves removed, cut in half, chokes removed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large baking potato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 pounds favas, shucked and peeled
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 -pound salami, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, coarsely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup white wine
In a large saucepan, combine 4 quarts of water, the lemon juice, white wine, garlic, and 1/2 bunch thyme and bring to a boil. Add the artichokes and blanch in the acidulated water for 20 minutes, until tender. Drain, cool and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the oil until almost smoking. Add the potatoes and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the fava beans and scallions and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the bread crumbs, salami and parsley, and mix well to combine.
Season each artichoke with salt and pepper and stuff each with the potato mixture. Place the artichokes in a shallow baking dish, add the wine and remaining 1 bunch thyme and cook for 30 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.
2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.