Stuffed Goose with Caraway and Apples: Oca Ripiena
- 1 large double goose breast, bone removed
- 4 juniper berries, smashed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 medium onions, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 green apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 boiled potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/2 cup
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lay the goose breast out in a baking pan. In a mixing bowl, stir together the juniper, rosemary, 1/4 cup olive oil and vinegar and pour over the breast. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
In a 14-inch saute pan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat and add onions. Cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the apples, caraway and cooked potatoes and cook another 10 minutes, or until apples have started to soften. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add the bread crumbs, parsley, cloves, and egg and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Remove the goose from the marinade, brush off and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper and lay flat on cutting board. Lay the stuffing out evenly over the goose and roll up like a jelly roll. Tie securely with butcher?s twine and place in roasting pan. Roast in oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F. Remove, allow to rest 10 minutes, then carve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.