Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 large roaster chicken, 4 to 4 1/2 pounds
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 ribs celery, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch disks
- 6 cloves garlic, whole and unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup light bodied red wine
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed of salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Cut up chicken into 8 pieces, rinse and pat dry.
In a 12 to 14 inch saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Add 4 pieces of chicken and saute until golden brown on all sides, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove. Repeat with remaining 4 pieces. Remove chicken and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 7 to 9 minutes. Add sugar, vinegar, orange juice, red wine, capers and almonds. replace chicken pieces in pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, partially cover pan and cook 30 minutes or until remaining liquid just moistens chicken. Serve with couscous or a bitter green salad.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Sweet and Sour BBQ Chicken Sliders with Pickled Chinese Cabbage and Carrots, Sweet and Sour Eggplant---Melanzane in Agrodolce, Sweet and Sour Tempeh with Spicy Peanut Sauce, Oven Fried Chicken Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Beef Wellington Recipes, Jerk Chicken Recipes, Easy Dinner, Chicken
Thank you! your flag was submitted.