Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 large roaster chicken, 4 to 4 1/2 pounds
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 ribs celery, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch disks
- 6 cloves garlic, whole and unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup light bodied red wine
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed of salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Cut up chicken into 8 pieces, rinse and pat dry.
In a 12 to 14 inch saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Add 4 pieces of chicken and saute until golden brown on all sides, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove. Repeat with remaining 4 pieces. Remove chicken and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 7 to 9 minutes. Add sugar, vinegar, orange juice, red wine, capers and almonds. replace chicken pieces in pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, partially cover pan and cook 30 minutes or until remaining liquid just moistens chicken. Serve with couscous or a bitter green salad.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali