Tagliatelle with Capon Ragu
- 4 servings
- 1 whole chicken, 31/2 to 4 pounds, giblets and liver set aside for other use
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup basic tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 1 cup chicken stock, from first step below
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 recipe green pasta, recipe follows, rolled to thinnest setting and cut into 3/4inch ribbons
Boil whole chicken 1 hour until very tender and allow to cool. Remove skin and discard. Remove all meat and pull apart to thin shreds. Reduce broth to 1 cup.
In a 6quart saucepan, heat butter until foam subsides. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook over medium heat until soft and golden brown. Add wine, tomato sauce and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add shredded chicken meat and thyme and return to boil. Lower heat and simmer 1 hour until thick. Set aside.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali