- 2 ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded, and medium dice
- 10 fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, 1 halved, the other 3 sliced paper thin
- 8 (3/4-inch) slices Italian peasant bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt or sea salt
Preheat the grill or broiler.
In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, black pepper, and sliced garlic. Set aside.
Grill or toast the bread slices until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes per side. Rub 1 side of each bread slice with the cut side of the garlic cloves, then brush with some of the olive oil.
Season the tomato mixture with salt, and spoon some of the tomato mixture on each bread slice. Sprinkle with salt and serve the hot bruschetta immediately.