Triglia with Cucumbers and Sweet Peppers
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 triglia (red mullet), or any other small fish, scaled and cleaned
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, skin on, seeds removed, and sliced into thin slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, sliced into thin strips
- 1 lemon leaf, torn into pieces, or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 passata (rough tomato sauce)
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until just smoking.
Season the fish on both sides with salt and pepper. Add fish to pan and cook for 3 minutes. Turn fish when cooked and add cucumber, pepper, and lemon leaf (or lemon zest). Cook for another 2 minutes.
Add white wine and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the passata and tomatoes and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Mario Batali, 2001