Tuna in Scapece with Scallion "Frocia"
- 1 pound fresh tuna
- 4 tablespoons plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano flowers, dried
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup finely sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino
- Onion Salad, recipe follows
- Onion Salad:
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons torn fennel fronds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
Bring 2 quarts water to a boil.
Cut the tuna into 1 1/2-inch cubes and drop into the boiling water for a maximum of 10 to 20 seconds. Carefully drain the tuna and set on a serving platter to cool in 1 layer. In a mixing bowl, stir together 4 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, tomatoes, mint, crushed peppers, and oregano flowers. When the tuna is cool, pour the liquid mixture over the fish and set it aside. In a 6 to 8-inch saute pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil until smoking. In a mixing bowl, stir together the eggs, scallions, and pecorino. Pour into the smoking pan and cook until the omelet is set. Cool and cut the frocia into 6 pieces. Divide the tuna over the pieces of the frocia and serve with onion salad.Onion Salad:
Combine all ingredients and serve with tuna.