Veal Farsu Magru
- 4 servings
- 1/2 of 1 breast of veal, 1 side only, boned and partially de-fatted
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 pound beet greens or Swiss chard, cut into 1-inch ribbons, washed and drained
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup Basic Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Have butcher remove bone from veal breast and butterfly open.
In a 12- to 14-inch saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil until smoking and add beet greens. Cook until wilted but not fully cooked, about 1 minute, and remove from heat and allow to cool. Add grated cheese, sundried tomatoes and eggs and season with salt and pepper. Place on inside of veal pocket and roll veal up like a jelly roll. Tie securely with butcher twine and season with salt and pepper. In an oven-ready thick bottomed casserole, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil until smoking. Add veal breast and brown on all sides, turning frequently, about 10 minutes. Drain oil from pan, add white wine and tomato sauce and bring to boil. Cover pan with lid or foil and place in oven. Cook 1-1/2 hours or until fork tender. Remove and allow to stand 10 minutes. Carve and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali