- 2 pounds medium asparagus (30 to 34 spears)
- 6 extra large egg yolks
- 1 extra large egg
- 1/2 cup Vin Santo or other dry fragrant wine
- 3 tablespoons, sweet butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream, warmed slightly
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Wash asparagus and snap off stem ends with fingers. In a double boiler (large enough to hold asparagus in water portion), combine yolks, egg and wine with whisk, stirring vigorously until frothy mixture forms. Remove egg mixture from heat and drop asparagus into bottom half of pan and cook 1 minute and 15 seconds.
Meanwhile, whisk butter, cream, Parmesan and black pepper into egg mixture and season with salt. Remove, drain asparagus and divide among four plates. Divide the sauce, sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and serve.