Warm Salad of Clams and Cockles with Escarole, Rhubarb and Roasted Pepper-Olive Crostini
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup julienne rhubarb
- 12 littleneck clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 20 cockles, scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 head escarole, cut into 1/2-inch ribbons, washed and spun dry to yield 4 cups
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch julienne
- 1 tablespoons black olive paste
- 12 thin slices of baguette, toasted
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat olive oil until smoking. Add garlic and rhubarb and cook until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add littleneck clams and wine and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until all the clams are open, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, assemble crostini by first mixing roasted peppers, olive paste and remaining oil together. Divide pepper mixture among 12 toasts and place three on the rims of each of 4 plates. Add cockles to littleneck pan and cover. Cook until cockles open, about 1 minute. Add vinegar and escarole and season with salt and pepper. Stir through then divide escarole, clams and cockles among plates and serve.