- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound pumpkin, cut into julienne
- 1 cup water
- Salt and black pepper
- Pinch hot chile flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound uncooked ziti
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
In a large pan, heat the olive oil over high heat and add the onion, garlic, and pumpkin and cook 1 minute. Add the water, salt and pepper, lower heat to medium and cover, cooking until the pumpkin is soft, about 8 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and parsley and keep warm.
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. Cook the ziti according to the package directions, until tender yet al dente. Toss the pasta with the cooked pumpkin 1 minute over high heat. Divide evenly among 4 warmed pasta bowls, topped with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.