Saga Wagyu Sukiyaki
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 15 min
- 10 min
- 4 servings
- 1 piece of Wagyu fat
- 12 oz of Saga wagyu beef thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz firm tofu diced 1" X 1"
- 2 cups Nappa cabbage, cut into 1" pieces
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Tokyo scallion, or scallion, cut 1 1/2" long
- 1 cup Dashi
- 1 bunch Enoki mushrooms
- 2 bunches chrysanthemum leaves, or water cress
- 1 pack of yam noodles ( shirataki) drained and rinsed, or substitute bean-noodles
Preheat a casserole type of large pan. Place the fat piece to oil the pan.
When the fat melts, place slices of wagyu beef to sear them lightly.
Add mirin, sake, soy sauce and sugar.
Add tofu, Nappa cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, and scallion.
Pour in half of the dashi. When dashi boils, add enoki mushrooms and chrysanthemum leaves.
When the leaves wilt, it is ready to serve.
* In Japan sukiyaki is cooked on the dining table, and each person uses chopsticks to pick up the ingredients from the pan as they are cooked. Therefore, all the ingredients are not put into the pan at once, but little by little.
Recipe courtesy Masaharu Morimoto