- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more fordusting
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons dry buttermilk powder (available in the baking aisle)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, dry buttermilk and salt in a medium bowl. Add the rosemary and/or chocolate chips. In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter, vanilla and 1 cup cream. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 1 minute.
Divide the dough into 2 balls; roll out each ball into a 1/2-to-3/4-inch-thick disk. Brush the tops of the disks with the remaining 2 tablespoons cream, then sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Cut each disk into 6 wedges. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Photograph by James Baigrie