Grilled Tomato Salsa
- 6 Roma tomatoes, cored and cut in half lengthwise
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 serrano chile, cut in half, see Cook's Note
- 1 shallot, skins removed, halved
- 1/2 small yellow onion, skin removed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Place the tomatoes, garlic, chiles, shallots and onions cut-side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle the vegetables with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Transfer the vegetables to the grill and grill until all the vegetables are blistered and charred, 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Let the vegetables cool slightly. Peel the garlic and remove the skins of the tomatoes. Transfer the vegetables to a food processor, add the cilantro and pulse until you have a chunky salsa. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Cook's Note: To make a milder salsa, remove the seeds and white membranes of the chile.
Recipe courtesy Melissa d'Arabian