- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Mock Mascarpone, recipe follows
- 3/4 cup strong coffee, sweetened with 1 tablespoon sugar, cooled
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices store-bought pound cake, cut in thirds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
- Mock Mascarpone:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Place the egg yolks, sugar and wine into a metal bowl. Place the bowl on a pan of barely simmering water, making a double boiler. Whisk the mixture constantly until the mixture becomes foamy and then creamy, doubling in size, about 5 minutes. The mixture should be uncomfortably warm to the touch, but not burning. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes, and set aside.
Pour the coffee into a wide bowl; briefly dip 3 slices of the pound cake into the coffee, about 3 seconds each side. Transfer to a 6 to 8-ounce parfait glass to create the first layer. Top the slices of cake with a few spoonfuls of the cream filling mixture. Repeat the process with another 3 slices of cake and top with more filling mixture. Repeat the process for the remaining parfait glasses. Dust each dessert with the cocoa. Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.Mock Mascarpone:
In a small bowl, cream together the cream cheese, yogurt and vanilla extract with a mixer until well blended. Refrigerate if a firmer texture is desired. Use in recipes as an inexpensive alternative to mascarpone.
Recipes courtesy Melissa d'Arabian