Skillet-Fried Corn and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 serrano chile, minced
- 6 cups corn kernels, from about 6 ears corn
- 2 cups fresh tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
- Sea salt, preferably gray
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the olive oil, then the garlic. Saute until the garlic is lightly browned. Add the chiles and saute briefly to release their character. Add the corn and cook briskly, stirring often, until partially cooked, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato puree and simmer, stirring, until the corn is just tender, about 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat, whisk in the butter, and stir in the chives. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Chef's Note: This dish can be started on the stove, then finished or reheated on the grill.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello, 2007