Chicken and Feta Sausage
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 pound pork fatback, cubed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup white wine, chilled
- 1 8 -foot hog casing, soaked in water 30 minutes and then flushed with water
- Sliced tomatoes, for serving
- Chopped fresh parsley, for serving
- Freshly ground pepper
Combine the chicken, pork fatback, coriander, garlic, mint, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a large plastic zip-top bag and refrigerate overnight.
At least 30 minutes before grinding the meat, place all of your tools (including the meat grinder parts, stand mixer bowl, stand mixer paddle attachment and sausage stuffer parts) in the freezer to chill.
Using your meat grinder, grind the marinated meat mixture through the small die plate into the chilled bowl of the stand mixer. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, then return the mixture to the mixer. Add the feta, olive oil and wine and beat on medium speed using the chilled paddle attachment until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Stuff the sausages and, for best results, refrigerate overnight.
Before cooking, pierce each sausage several times with a pin. Grill over medium heat until the center registers 160 degrees F, 10 to 12 minutes. (You can also pan-fry or broil the sausages.) Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve the sausages with the tomato salad.
Photograph by Kat Teutsch
Thank you! your flag was submitted.