Turkey and Sage Sausage
- 2 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless turkey thighs, cubed
- 1 pound pork fatback, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh sage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- Small pinch of nutmeg
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold whole milk
- 1/2 cup white wine, chilled
- 1 8 -foot hog casing, soaked in water 30 minutes and then flushed with water
- Crusty buns, for serving
- Spicy brown mustard, for serving
- Grilled red onions, for serving
Combine the turkey, pork fatback, sage, garlic, chives, pepper, nutmeg, orange zest and 2 tablespoons salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a large plastic zip-top bag and refrigerate overnight.
At least 30 minutes before grinding the meat, place all of your tools (including the meat grinder parts, stand mixer bowl, stand mixer paddle attachment and sausage stuffer parts) in the freezer to chill.
Using your meat grinder, grind the marinated meat mixture through the small die plate into the chilled bowl of the stand mixer. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, then return the mixture to the mixer. Add the milk and wine and beat on medium speed using the chilled paddle attachment until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Stuff the sausages and, for best results, refrigerate overnight.
Before cooking, pierce each sausage several times with a pin. Grill over medium heat until the center registers 160 degrees F, 10 to 12 minutes. (You can also pan-fry or broil the sausages.) Serve in split toasted buns with spicy brown mustard and grilled red onions.
Photograph by Kat Teutsch
Thank you! your flag was submitted.