Mom's Sloppy Joe
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 8 ounces red onion, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces red bell pepper, seeded and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground Kurobuta (Berkshire) pork
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup dry red wine
- 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Sesame burger buns, toasted, for serving
Over medium heat in a thick bottomed saucepan, combine the oil, red onions, bell peppers and jalapenos. Cook until softened. Add the ground beef and pork. Cook through, breaking the meat into small chunks as it browns. Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Drain any excess fat as necessary. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, wine, Worcestershire, sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne, cumin and mustard. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
Serve on toasted sesame buns.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.