Mongolian Beef Sandwiches with Black Bean Aioli
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, sliced against the grain
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup thin soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Shaoxing or red wine
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Canola oil
- 2 red onions, sliced thinly
- 2 serranos, minced
- 1 head white cabbage, halved, 1 half reserved for another use, the other, shredded
- 1 red bell peppers, julienned
- 1 green bell peppers, julienned
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 pita bread, toasted, grilled or heated in the oven
- Black Bean Aioli, as an accompaniment, recipe follows
- Black Bean Aioli:
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fermented black beans
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 egg yolks*
- 2 cups canola oil
- Salt and black pepper
Marinate steak in a bowl with oils, soy sauce, wine, garlic, scallions, and black pepper. Let stand at least 4 hours refrigerated. Drain beef.
In a hot wok, coat with oil and stir-fry onions and serranos. Add beef slices and cook until rare. Add vegetables. Check for seasoning. Serve with pita bread and Black Bean Aioli.
Suggested drink: Singha BeerBlack Bean Aioli:
Saute garlic, beans, and ginger until soft. Deglaze with vinegar and reduce by 80 percent. Let cool completely.
In a food processor, add mixture with yolks. With the machine running, drizzle in oil, slowly at first until it emulsifies, then more quickly. Check for seasoning. Store in the refrigerator.
Contains Raw Eggs: The Food Network Kitchen suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly cooked eggs due to the slight risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell. For recipes that call for eggs that are raw or undercooked when the dish is served, use shell eggs that have been treated to destroy salmonella, by pasteurization or another approved method.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.