"Monkey Rolls": Banana Spring Rolls with Spiced Chocolate Sauce, Peanuts, and Toasted Coconut
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 16 sheets (6-inch diameter) rice paper circles*
- 4 cups warm water
- 4 bananas, halved lengthwise, and then across
- 1 cup toasted peanuts, chopped fine
- 1 cup toasted sweetened coconut threads
- *Available in specialty markets
For the chocolate sauce mix in a medium size bowl the chocolate syrup with the peanut butter and chile powder. Place the water in a flat cake pan large enough to lay the rice paper sheets flat. Lay out 2 paper towels side by side. Soak rice paper sheets 2 at a time in the water for 1 minute then transfer to the paper towels with the sheets overlapping 30 percent. Cover with paper towels and continue until you have 8 sets of two-rice paper circles. In the center of the bottom 1/3 of the rice paper place 2 pieces of banana and liberally drizzle and sprinkle chocolate sauce, peanuts and coconut over the bananas. Fold over the edges and snugly roll them up in the shape of egg rolls. Place them seam side down on a plate and continue until you have 8 spring rolls. Serve them cut in 1/2 or whole.
Copyright 2001, Joey Altman. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Herb Mesa