Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for griddle
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for griddle
- Blueberry Syrup, recipe follows
- Blueberry Syrup:
- 1 1/2 cups real New York State maple syrup
- 1 cup blueberries
Cut the butter into small pieces and melt in a small saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave. Remove and cool.
Heat the griddle over medium heat.
Carefully wipe the griddle down with vegetable oil using a paper towel. Add a very small pat of butter to the griddle and swirl to melt. Once the butter is foamy, add the pancake batter using a 1/4-cup ladle. Flip the pancakes once you see a ring of bubbles around the edges, about 3 minutes. Cook the next side for about 2 minutes more.
Wipe the griddle clean and re-oil and butter between each batch. Repeat for the remaining batter. Serve immediately with Blueberry Syrup.Blueberry Syrup:
Add the syrup and blueberries to a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened. Smash a few of the berries with a wooden spoon against the sides of the pan. Serve over buttermilk pancakes.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Fuller
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Patrick and Gina Neely