Butternut, Arugula and Pine Nut Salad
- 1 butternut squash, approximately 2 1/4 pounds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed canola oil or olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons for dressing
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup water, from a freshly boiled kettle
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 4 ounces (about 3 cups) arugula and other salad leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
Put the butternut pieces in a bowl with the salt, spices and 2 tablespoons oil and smoosh them about, then tip onto a lipped baking sheet (lined with aluminum foil). Don't clean the bowl yet.
Cook the squash for 30 to 40 minutes. Check to see if it is cooked through by the time the half hour's up by piercing with a fork; some squashes cook faster than others.
Put half of the salad leaves over a large plate or bowl and arrange the butternut pieces on top. Sprinkle with the remaining salad leaves and the toasted pine nuts. Scrape the raisin-studded dressing out of the bowl to dribble over it all and toss gently before serving.
Photographs by Yunhee Kim
More Recipes and Ideas:
Arugula and Fennel Salad with Lemon-Herb Vinaigrette, Fennel, Arugula and Strawberry Salad, Arugula Salad with Seared Shrimp and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Vinaigrette, Heart Healthy Recipes, Healthy Grilling, Low Fat Recipes, Low Carb Recipes, Healthy Lunch Recipes, Healthy Brunch
Thank you! your flag was submitted.