- 1 1/2 pounds beef for stew
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium butternut squash, about 3 pounds
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small ripe avocado, cut into cubes, optional
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Place the beef, water, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and black pepper in stockpot. Cover and bake in 325 degrees F oven 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Meanwhile, cut squash lengthwise into quarters and remove seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish, overlapping if necessary. Add water. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until fork-tender.
Place each baked squash quarter onto serving plate. Fill with equal amounts of beef mixture. Top with tomato and avocado, if desired. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Cook's Tip: The chipotle beef mixture may also be cooked on the stovetop. Bring beef mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.