Off-White Salad with Citrus-Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bottle prosecco
- 4 Bosc pears, peeled, quartered and cored
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices pancetta, cut into strips
- 4 large heads frisee, washed
- 2 cups celery leaves, torn from stalks
- 2 bulbs fennel, shaved thin
- Parmesan wedge, for shaving
For the pears: Melt the butter in a deep, wide pot over medium heat. Add the prosecco and bring to a simmer. Add the pears and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the pears from the liquid and let cool.
For the pecans: Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the pecans and stir to coat. Simmer the pecans in the sugar mixture, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a piece of parchment paper and let cool. Chop the pecans and set aside.
For the dressing: In a bowl, combine the oil, orange juice, vinegar and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and whisk together. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
For the salad: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a swirl of olive oil and the pancetta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pancetta is crisp. Transfer the pancetta to paper towel-lined plate to drain the fat.
Tear the frisee into bite-size pieces into a large bowl and add the celery leaves and fennel. Add the pears. Pour in enough dressing just to coat and toss to combine. Taste and add more dressing if desired.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.