- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Old Fashioned Frosting, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
Combine in a bowl both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until combined for about 3 minutes. Add in cubed butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
Add eggs 1 at a time until combined. Slowly add milk and vanilla to batter until completely mixed scraping down the bowl as you mix.
Scoop batter into baking cups filling about 2/3 full. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
Cool and decorate with Old Fashioned Frosting.
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or other flavoring
Cream softened butter and add 4 cups sugar, milk and vanilla. Beat with paddle attachment until smooth gradually add the rest of sugar to reach frosting consistency*.
*Cook's Note: Add more sugar to get this consistency.