- 10 ounces fresh spinach leaves, rinsed, or 1 (10-ounce) package frozen leaf spinach
- 19-ounce can (2 cups) chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1 to 2 lemons, juiced or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
If using fresh spinach: Cook the spinach in a saucepan with the water clinging to its leaves, stirring, until wilted. Drain, squeeze dry, and finely chop. If using frozen spinach, follow package directions, drain, squeeze dry, and finely chop.