Braised Cabbage and Carrots
Recipe courtesy of Patrick and Gina Neely
Recipe courtesy The Neely's
- 1 large head (about 3 pounds) green cabbage
- 4 slices extra-thick bacon, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Smash Seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 (10-ounce) bag baby carrots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Smash Seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon halfway through. Cook's Note: It will release its fat and be lightly browned, but still moist.
Add the cabbage, water and Smash Seasoning. Cover and reduce to a simmer and steam 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Drain water from pot and add carrots. Cover and simmer another 15 minutes, until carrots are tender. Add salt and pepper, to taste.Smash Seasoning:
Mix ingredients thoroughly and keep in a tightly sealed container for up to 6 months.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.