- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Pinch cayenne
- Splash pickle juice
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped dill
- 1 jar whole dill pickles, sliced into spears
Preheat your deep-fryer to 375 degrees F.
Into an 8 by 8-inch casserole dish, beat together milk, egg, cayenne, and a splash of the pickle juice.
Combine the cornmeal, flour, paprika, salt, pepper, and dill into another baking dish.
Thoroughly dry the pickles with paper towels. Dredge first through the wet, then the dry ingredients. Gently place pickles into the deep-fryer in batches and fry until golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray and immediately season with salt.