- 1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless bottom round roast
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- Freshly chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper.
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil and sear the roast on all sides. Add the onions, garlic and tomato paste and cook until slightly colored. Add the wine, stock, thyme and bay leaves. Bring the liquid to a simmer, cover, and place in the oven.
Roast for 1 1/2 hours and then add the carrots. Continue to cook for 1 more hour. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Slice and place on a serving platter. Skim the fat off the braising liquid and serve with the roast. Garnish with parsley.