Neely's Fried Apple Pie a la Mode
- Apple pie:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 Gala apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 box ready-made pie crusts (recommended: Pillsbury)
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream, for topping
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
To a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar, and the apples and saute until they are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Drizzle in the maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Continue cooking for 5 minutes more until the apples are completely softened. Remove them from the pan and allow them to cool while you prepare the dough.
Roll out both pieces of pie dough onto a floured surface. Cut out 8 (6-inch) circles and lay them out onto a parchment-lined sheet tray. Put a heaping tablespoon of the apple pie filling into the center of each round Fold the circles in half and seal their edges with the tines of a fork.
In a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat enough peanut oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 350 degrees F.
Whisk together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and reserve.
Fry the pies, 3 at a time, in the hot peanut oil until they are golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer the finished pies to a paper towel-lined sheet tray. Once they are cool, toss them in the cinnamon sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe courtesy of The Neelys