Neely's Fried Calamari
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh or frozen and thawed small calamari, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch rings
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup peach preserves
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- Dash hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl add the cornmeal, flour, cayenne, garlic powder, dried parsley, salt and pepper. Whisk together to combine.
Working in batches, toss the calamari into the dry mixture, shaking off the excess. Carefully add to the hot oil, in batches, until lightly golden, about 1 minute per batch. Remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray and immediately season with salt. Transfer to a platter, garnish with lemon wedges, and serve with the Spicy Dipping Sauce.Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce:
Add all the ingredients to a serving bowl and whisk to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.