Pear, Stilton, and Chicory Salad with Crispy Chestnuts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus 6 tablespoons
- 4 cups whole roasted, shelled, and skinned chestnuts, about 1 pound in shell or 2 (14 ounce) bottles
- 4 firm-ripe red pears
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 head chicory (curly endive), torn (6 cups)
- 8 ounces Stilton, crumbled
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute 1/2 the chestnuts with salt and pepper, to taste, stirring, until crisp on outside (being careful not to burn or cook until hard), about 4 minutes. Make other batch the same way. Remove from heat.
Halve and core pears, then cut lengthwise into thin slices.
Whisk together mustard, vinegar, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a large bowl and add remaining 6 tablespoons oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified. Whisk in shallot.
Add chicory, chestnuts, pears, and Stilton and toss until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse