Penne with Garlicky Butternut Squash
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups diced (1/2-inch) butternut squash (from a 1 1/2 pound squash)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 sage leaves, minced or 1/4 teaspoon powdered sage
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound uncooked penne
- Grated Parmesan
Bring a large quantity of water to a boil in a stockpot. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss in the squash and saute 5 minutes, or until it begins to get golden. Sprinkle in the garlic and saute 2 minutes. Pour in the 1/4 cup water, nutmeg, sage, parsley, salt and pepper, and cover the pan. Cook the squash until tender, about 5 minutes more.
Cook the penne until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a colander and return to the pot. Spoon on the squash mixture and toss gently. Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan and pass more at the table.